Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Shetland 2023

Sorry for the longish silence - I spent  2 amazing weeks in Shetland and then it's been straight back to work and routine but necessary hospital appointments for the middle-aged woman. I did debate writing about the hospital stuff because it could do with a bit more normalising. On the other hand anything gynecological or hormone related seems to be both mentally and physically exhausting, and I don't really want to think about it more than I have to. 

Holiday pictures are much better. I went to Shetland expecting average to awful weather - September can be iffy, but we got lucky. It was grey the day we arrived and we got a light autumn gale - but with sunshine. It rained a bit but always at night, we had the hottest September day since 1956 (about 22 degrees, and absolutely glorious), saw the aurora (mirrie dancers), and generally had a ball. 

I think early September is probably a good time to go - there's often a patch of bad weather in August and towards the end of this month, bu the colours and the light for the last 2 weeks were exquisite and we just caught the end of the heather. 

















4 comments:

  1. I envy you! I'd love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of your trip - the land, the sky and a furry friend. Hope you were able to find some good yarn and patterns. Glad you had a good break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous! I find tree-less landscapes so eerie (having grown up surrounded by forests) but always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good trip home. Thanks for the lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete