Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 - Goodbye to all that

I've been avoiding doing any sort of round up post of the last decade and am not about to start now in any serious way. It's the decade in which I became middle aged with all that that entails in the way of loss, aches, and pains. It's also a decade that I spent in a job I really didn't like much (it paid the bills and was in the right place, I worked with some great people and I'm grateful for that but if I'd known how happy redundancy would make me I would have gone long ago).


It is good to have this blog, started in 2009, to look back on for reading and other highlights, but right now I mostly want to be looking forward because despite a lot of the crap going on around us right now (and still having the absolutely revolting cold that made me a misery over Christmas) I'm personally feeling hopeful for my future in a way I haven't for a long time.

I'm also in the Scottish borders, which is one of my favourite places anywhere with D (just as we were 10 years ago) with good company, wine, and food, to look forward too tonight. And a lot of good books - some that I bought with me, and some that I bought from the magnificent Main Street Trading Company in St Boswells.

Whatever 2020 brings, I know it's got some great reading in it.

With all of that in mind I hope everybody reading this is also feeling more or less hopeful for what the New Year might bring, and has as many books lined up to look forward to as I do. Happy New Year.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not one for looking back either. How I would love being in the Scottish borders this night. I really hope you sing Mr. Burns' song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I hope 2020 is exciting and fulfilling for you and that it's full of time with your favourite people and books in wonderful places. As far as that goes, it sounds like you've picked a great way to kick off the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you - and everyone who reads your lovely posts; thank you so much for them - only sorry about your horrid cold over Christmas! The Scottish borders sound like a perfect place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I'm glad you're having a good start to 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! I still wish you'd start a Patreon for this blog or at least have a wishlist so I could buy you the occasional book, as I've found so many great reads through you!

    ReplyDelete