I'm very glad to be done with this project. Initially I thought it would make a nice birthday present for D, a year ago. I finished knitting it this Febuary so hopefully it will still make a nice present, at least it's done in time for his birthday this year (next week, I'm so on top of this, his cake is just out of the oven as well).
Finishing it was a definite achievement, it's the biggest thing I'd attempted, and confirmed everything I suspected about myself and the danger of losing steam half way through a thing and abandoning it for months on end. It also taught me a lot about combining colours, which I do not find as easy as I assumed it would be. So far I've come to the conclusion that you can either start with the limited palate that traditional fair isle patterns use (dictated by the colour of the sheep and I guess the dyes that could be made locally) and which I didn't have because they hadn't especially caught my eye. Or you should probably start with a particular point of reference for inspiration. I didn't do that either.
What I did have was a bag of yarn that I'd bought in the same way I might have chosen pick and mix sweets - a ball of everything that appealed to me, with no thought at all about how they might work together. The idea behind the cushion cover was that it would let me knit something sizeable with all those balls of wool and the variety of colours wouldn't be such a problem.
Mostly that's worked, and at least I now know how to make a better job of it next time - which can be summed up as plan everything properly. Meanwhile it'll be comfortable to sit on and I've become quite fond of it, faults and all.