Thursday, April 19, 2012

Houskeeping

Next week is Murial Spark reading week over at Stuck in a Book and Harriet Devine's Blog and I'm quite excited about it, I've sorted out all my unread Spark's and am wondering which way to go with them. My Everyman's Library collection has a couple of unread novellas in it 'The Only Problem' sounds tempting. 'Territorial Rights' is set in Venice - enough said really, and then there's the short story collection. I do like short stories and if I were to be organised could perhaps write about a whole lot of them through the week (I will never be that organised). 

At the same time I've sorted out a dozen books that I want to read over the next few months. Some are review copies, some were presents, some I bought almost a year ago, and some I picked up at the weekend (birthday trip with the blonde to Astley book farm - it was hard to know when to stop) they're all books that elicited a deeply enthusiastic response from me when they first came my way and I'm determined they're going to get some attention before other newer shinier books totally distract me, now all I have to do is find them a handy home...

6 comments:

  1. The Only Problem is properly Sparkian in its quirkiness. I think I liked it less than other Spark titles. I own Territorial Rights. Maybe I should read that one for the reading week. Although I realize it starts on Monday and my parents arrive tomorrow and I have yet to start my contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's times like this when short stories look most attractive. Territorial Rights was a second hand buy so my copy is a bit grotty but it has a relatively unknown feel about it which is making it a tempting choice too. Hope your having a good family gathering.

      Delete
  2. I'm reading Memento Mori for Spark Week and am really enjoying it. Her sense of humor is so wicked.
    I spy a Barbara Pym on the top of your stack - I've recently formed a little obsession with her books - I'll look forward to your thoughts on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Momento Mori is a cracker. Pym's at the top of the actual pile so in all probability will be the last book I get to. One of the new Persephone's is in there and I think that'll be the first book out the pile after Spark. Pym is brilliant though (feeling like a kid in a sweet shop).

      Delete
  3. You have some lovely books there. I've read the Pym, Trollope, Green & Black. All excellent. The Black is very good for dipping in to as the interviews become a bit samey if you read it straight through. I just read one a day & enjoyed them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so well read Lyn, I am in turn very enthusiastic about all of them - am I right in thinking you have the Jenkins as well?

    ReplyDelete