Monday, August 16, 2021

News

I didn't mean to be quiet for so long, but it's been an eventful 10 days. I've been to Aberdeen and had a nostalgic wander around the university and some of the places I knew as a student. It felt like everything had changed except the pubs - every single one we used to drink in was still there with the same name, and in several cases what looked like minimal sprucing from the outside. It's good to know there are some constants in the world. 

I made it up to Shetland for my father's birthday for the first time in almost 30 years which was lovely after the last 18 months - as we all get older living so far apart is harder. Whilst there we saw the last of the puffins, what felt like hot and cold running otters, seals, gannets, a grouse (exciting for Shetland) white-sided dolphins, porpoises, and a fin whale which was tremendously exciting. I had to look fin whales up, we saw this one from the ferry terminal in Unst, turns out it's the second biggest species going after Blue whales. We missed out on Orca's who kept a low profile all week and then started visiting every beach or headland we'd been near after we'd left them. A Fin whale is obviously a lot cooler though, so the Orca's can stick it. 

Most exciting of all (for us anyway) is that my long term partner completely surprised me with a proposal, in what was (for us) the most romantic way I could imagine. I didn't know this was on the cards so I'm still a bit dazed by it all, also very happy, and feeling really lucky - hence the silence!


14 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm assuming from the picture you said 'yes'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful reason for silence! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Hayley! That's wonderful news. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many congratulations to you both. Your blog is a constant delight and the book reviews are inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news and such a beautiful ring! Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and wonderful choice of ring. Best wishes, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! What a beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations. That's a lovely ring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such heartwarming news! Congratulations to you both! Donna M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What happy news! Congratulations to you both. Lucy Madill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Hayley! I've only just seen this, so sorry to be late. I hope you will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete