Monday, April 12, 2021

The Talisman Ring - Georgette Heyer - #1936Club

I had forgotten about the 1936 club until I saw a reminder from Simon a couple of weeks ago, and then got quietly excited when I realised I could read two Georgette Heyer's for it, one of which is an all time favourite - The Talisman Ring. I've been using Simon and Kaggsy's book club as a Heyer enabling tool since they started it and I'm not going to break with tradition now when she's been such a solace in the past year.


This has mostly been due to the #GeorgetteHeyerReadalong on Twitter. Every Sunday we work through 3 chapters of whichever the current book is with plenty of mostly entirely relevant discussion. It's a particularly friendly group of readers with plenty of differing opinions and reading the books like this has been really illuminating. I don't think we've done Talisman Ring yet (I didn't join the group until it had been going for a few months), but I took a lot of what they've made me think about into this umpteenth read of it. 

One reason I love this particular book so much is that although there are romances in it, it's essentially a comedy thriller in fancy dress. An old man (Sylvester) is dying, he's rescued his granddaughter from the dicey position of being an aristocrat in revolutionary France at about the same time that his grandson was suspected of shooting a man in cold blood to get back the talisman ring which had been lost over a game of cards. Ludovic (the grandson) is promptly shipped out the country with almost everybody assuming his guilt. Sylvester has summoned his great nephew, Tristram, to his death bed in the hope that he'll marry his much younger cousin (the granddaughter) who will otherwise be alone in the world.

Tristram isn't especially enthusiastic but he needs a wife and isn't especially enthusiastic about anybody else either. Eustacie seems to feel much the same - although after a few hours in each others company it's fairly clear that they really won't like each other much. Then Sylvester dies, Ludovic turns up as a smuggler in which guise he meets Eustacie escaping the prospect of a dull marriage. There's some shooting in a moonlit forest, Tristram realises that Ludovic is innocent, another cousin suddenly looks suspicious, and a woman who makes him laugh turns up. There are a lot of jokes, and it's all very enjoyable.

Reading Heyer slowly it also seems crazy that her work was never adapted for film. Most of the action here takes place in a handful of different interiors and a bit of woodland, the dialogue, and running around is very reminiscent of the screwball comedy's of the era, and the cast is limited. It should have been a gift to film - and a well made contemporary adaptation would be delightful (the only book of hers that was adapted was not well served - you can find The Reluctant Widow on you tube - it's an absolute mess compared to the source material) even if it wasn't entirely faithful. 

As it is there are wonderful scenes - such as Sylvester's death bed - lit by 50 candles, furnished with rich brocades, with an old man in his wig and a great ruby ring at the centre of it determined to have the last word. I feel like I'm watching rather than reading, and Heyer invites her readers to be amused as well as entertained by the vision she's created. 

What I hadn't really noticed before this year, but am coming to see as more of a feature of her work is how loosely Heyer sketches in the details of her main characters. Tristram is described as tall, dark, lean, and we know he's good in a fight - but otherwise it's up to the reader to decide on the details. Ludovic is tall blond and handsome, Eustacie is small dark and beautiful... There isn't really a lot about their personalities either beyond humour and intelligence. Her secondary characters by comparison are much more richly detailed. This has to be a big part of why her books have aged relatively well (there are bits which haven't), it's so easy to project yourself into the heart of them. 

Overall The Talisman Ring is lighthearted, well written, fun. It doesn't expect to be taken particularly seriously, it's function is solely to amuse and entertain which it does very well indeed. I'm very happy to have had a reason to read it again right now. 

18 comments:

  1. Haven't read this Heyer yet so I immediately downloaded it from my library! It sounds so fun. I didn't know about the Heyer readalong on Twitter so I'm definitely looking into it. Also I love your phrase "Heyer enabling tool," LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Sunday night from 7 until 8 UK time - but conversation goes on longer than that and you can catch up at any time. We're getting towards the end of Sprig Muslin at the moment. Just search the hashtag - it's a really friendly group. It is a fun one - I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. It’s been ages since I read this title and now I want to go reread it immediately. I didn’t know about the Heyer read along. That sounds fun.

      Delete
    3. It is fun, easy to dip in and out of. I love this book for it's all out adventure feel. Reading it with 1936 in mind and then checking the dates for some Free Astair films, and Bringing Up Baby etc really put Heyer in the context of her time too. There's a shared sense of humour that I really love.

      Delete
  2. I hear good things about Heyer and this book sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's great. There are the normal pitfalls of reading books of this age, she's an unashamed snob (which I quite enjoy) and very much of her time in certain attitudes, but she does so many interesting things, and is so funny - it's absolutely worth giving her a try.

      Delete
  3. A superb choice for this week! I had read almost all of Heyer's other books before coming to The Talisman Ring but it immediately earned a spot among my favourites. She balances everything so well and it is always a delight to reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It was the perfect book to settle in with over the weekend between the sun and snow with a warm dog for comfort. It's a brilliant bit of comic writing and a very satisfactory romance - who could want more?

      Delete
  4. Lovely choice and very happy to be part of Heyer enabling! Thanks ofr taking part! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is one of my favourite Heyers! Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful. I have no idea how many times I've read it now - dozens probably, it's never once disappointed.

      Delete
  6. Oh this sounds so fun! I love that the golden rule of the club years is that there is ALWAYS a Heyer to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her first book was published in 1921, the last one in 1975 and there's something for most of the years in-between - although there are a couple I probably wouldn't re read. I gave enjoyed thinking about Heyer in terms of dates through these clubs though, any half way decent writer who produced work over a number of years is a gift for this.

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorites too and it would make a splendid film. I believe I remember reading somewhere though that Heyer forbade the filming of her work, possibly after the one disastrous attempt. I hope there is a statue of limitations that may run out at some point and that some filmmaker of taste and genius will take it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see some of her detective fiction get the film treatment. I think her other books would get to messed around with to please anybody. It's fun imagining the casting for all your favourite hero's though.

      Delete
  8. Such a favourite - the heroine's brother is so well done.

    ReplyDelete