Monday, April 16, 2018

Tea Cosy

True to my resolution to try and extend my (very limited) Knitting skill set I resisted the urge to cast on another kep and had a look for something that would teach me something new. The Osaka tea cosy  in 'Knit Real Shetland' (15 knitting projects in real Shetland wool from Jamieson and Smith, I bought this last summer because I liked the variety of things in it, the photography, and because it was on sale - I think it's been superseded by a new collection of patterns).

The tea cosy looked like an excellent way to use up some odds and ends of yarn, have a go at putting in steeks and then cutting them (not as frightening as I thought it would be) and managing a pattern and decreases at the same time.

I could have made better colour decisions, but the cosy itself is just the right size for getting through left over yarns. Unfortunately it turns out to be not the right size for any of my teapots. One is to big, three are to small. The tea pot that's wearing it in this picture looks like it's stolen someone else's over sized jumper, and whilst I suppose it will do the job just as well I don't feel it's doing either the pattern, or my teapot, any favours.

The whole steek thing has always struck me as a bit daunting. If the term is unfamiliar it's when you add in extra stitches to a pattern forming a bridge between two sides of something which you will later cut to separate them. It lets you knit your project in the round, which is faster than doing it flat. The idea of taking scissors to something I've knitted has always made me a bit nervous, but everybody who says it's oddly liberating is right.

The bit I liked best about this though was the shaping and pattern on the crown of the cosy. I don't know why I found it so satisfying, but I did.

8 comments:

  1. The pattern and colours are really beautiful. But I'd prefer it as a cap. Do you make them as caps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape isn't quite right for a cap, it has corners, but it's certainly adaptable.

      Delete
  2. I have dared steeking anything, but if I did, Shetland wool seems like the best place to start. Your colorwork is excellent. Mine always turns out ghastly. I've tried all the tricks to avoid the fabric pulling in and puckering, but I think I just need more practice. You can't keep that beautiful cosy in a drawer--you'll have to buy a teapot to fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely sticky wool which certainly helps with the confidence when it comes to cutting. I really like colour work (love watching the patterns emerge). The only thing I can think to suggest is that you use small patterns/motifs until it behaves.

      Delete
  3. I love the colors and the pattern and I agree with Diana, it would make a really cute hat. And good for you for cutting steeks! I've never had the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an unnerving thought isn't it! At least with this the finish didn't matter in the same way it would on something like a cardigan. Still so much to learn.

      Delete
  4. The cosy is gorgeous and the colors are wonderful -- sort of like the early part of a Highland night sky (as I imagine it) or the skies that you would see at sea when the sun is well down and the first stars are showing. Now here is a really radical suggestion. Make the cosy fit by cutting up some polar fleece or quilted fabric into a lining and then lightly stitch it to the inside so that the whole thing sits over the tea pot. Guaranteed to keep it really warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll pass this one on, and look for anther pattern that might teach me something new. The colours are Shetland Spindrift, a yarn range I love. Their colours are amazing!

      Delete