Friday, March 23, 2018

Kep

I had planned to write about E.C.R Lorac's 'Bats in the Belfry' tonight but got waylayed by trying to organise flights to go to Shetland in the summer. For reasons I'd really like to complain about at length (but won't) something that used to be a fairly simple thing to do has become a lot more complicated and doubled in price. The complications are bad enough, the doubling in price will seriously eat into my yarn buying budget - and whilst that's an entirely first world, middle class, and generally privileged problem to have, it's still dispiriting.

Dispiriting has been a bit of a theme for the week though, nothing has gone to plan, every apparently small job started has turned into a big, complicated, nuisance - if I had a pound for every time that had happened the price of flights wouldn't matter - and it's been generally very trying.

On the upside there have been good things too, I've got exciting things planned for tomorrow, and I finished a second kep. I had doubts about the colours I chose for this one, but they were odds and ends that wanted using up, and I'm happy with how it's turned out. I didn't make any serious mistakes, and I've finally worked out what people mean when they talk about a dominant yarn in stranded knitting - which is a helpful thing to know. Knitting Kep's is oddly addictive, I'm planning another one already.


7 comments:

  1. I like the colors and the patterns of your beautiful kep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there's something really satisfying about knitting Fair Isle patterns. They have a lovely logic and rhythm to them that's really relaxing (until I make a mistake).

      Delete
  2. It looks very good, I don't blame you for starting another.

    I hope that you have an easier time next week. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a much better mood after a really enjoyable day yesterday and a long talk with a friend. I know in the greater scheme of things my life is comfortable, but the combination of wages falling in real terms and the cost of everything going up is really biting and the reality of that isn't very comfortable to contemplate.

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely and warm. I have not been brave enough to try knitting something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks warm! I wish I was brave enough to try this sort of knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot less complicated than it looks (I'm not a skilled knitter, and not blessed with a great deal of patience for complex projects). Shetland wool week releases a hat pattern every year that's free to download ( http://www.shetlandwoolweek.com/free-knitting-pattern/ ) which is a brilliant starting point if you fancy knitting a hat.

      Delete