Monday, October 26, 2015

Quince Brandy

Autumn last year I went a bit over the top preserving things. When I realised I'd got through over a hundred jam jars it was clear my habit was getting out of hand (and expensive). Part of the reason for all that activity was an uncomplicated love of preserving - it's weirdly addictive, it's also quite helpful for dealing with stress.


This year I've managed to keep something of a lid on the jam making but have started a tremendous amount of liqueurs. They're all under my bed maturing away (I think the Angels share might be helping me sleep more easily), It's a far more expensive habit than jam as well as a longer term one. The damson gin and mulberry vodka won't be properly ready until next Christmas, so for this Christmas it seemed like a good idea to make some quince brandy as well. 

The recipe I've gone for is from Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess', it was the first I found, is simple, and with 'Simply Nigella' to remind me of how much I love that book it's a good time to re explore it. 

For the quince brandy it's just a decent size kilner jar (or similar) suitably sterilised. Make sure the quinces are clean, then quarter them (no need to peel or core) fill the jar, then cover them in brandy (cheap will do) and pop in a couple of cinnamon sticks and some a couple of heads of star anise. Leave for 6 weeks. I'm not a huge fan of brandy in the general way (it's mostly about whisky and gin in this household) but I'm assuming the fruit and spices will take the rough edges off and make something a bit special. If nothing else it should be great for feeding Christmas cakes and making mincemeat. 

(I got jam jars and bottles from Wares of Knutsford this year. They have some lovely ones, and they also do some great bottles at very reasonable prices. I've gone for mini milk bottles, 25cl size, which I'm delighted with.) 

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, the maturing liqueurs under the bed brought back some memories. My parents had a year where they got into Make your own booze in a big way. Can't remember what they used (plums possibly?), but they made some sort of liqueur and set it to work its magic under the bed. Then one night two of the bottles exploded in the middle of the night!! Fun for all the family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These shouldn't ferment, although I'm always a little paranoid for the first few weeks. As the temperature drops I'll worry less. I can only imagine the mess those exploding plums made! What a way to wake up.

      Delete
  2. Did you not use any sugar at all? I look forward to hearing about how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe didn't call for sugar so I haven't used any, I did wonder about it but am happy to leave well alone for now. It says leave for 6 weeks so I'll probably check it in about a month, if it seems like sugar would be a good idea I can always add a little then. And there's an insight into my fascinating thought processes for you...

      Delete
  3. I must give this a go next year -- we have a tree and mostly bake them in a French oven. They are such a wonderful fruit. Untoxicating in smell, even without the brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This should be ready soon. Quite excited :)

    ReplyDelete