Thursday, July 24, 2014

Another picture post

This is sheer self indulgence on my part but there are a few more pictures I wanted to post here as a holiday reminder so here goes...
Dinner (vegetarians look away) getting dad to cook lobster for me is a holiday tradition, as is the drive to get them and then listening to them try and escape in the back of the car.
Not quite as reliable a tradition but by no means an uncommon holiday experience if you favour Scottish islands is stumbling across a replica viking ship. This one is the largest of her kind at 115 feet and is apparently more of a re-imagining than a replica. Possibly a replica would have been a better bet as the mast of this one (Draken Harald Harfagre) snapped in the middle of the north sea. Fortunately nobody was hurt but something that looked a lot like a very large tree trunk (because that's exactly what it was) snapped like a match stick. Impressive boat though.
This is the view from the museum cafe where they sell huge and delicious scones. The scones are really very good indeed (so good) the view is nice too, even when it's misty. A lot of the boats belong to the museum and there's a refreshing lack of safety rails.

knitwear and wool, because I can't get enough of it. Sadly not so many people are knitting commercially in Shetland any more, some of the older generation do, but their daughters aren't keen to - perhaps because for so long it was one of the only options for women work wise and it was liberating to get away from it. Knitting is no longer taught in schools (a shame) so I guess we just have to hope that enough people will decide to take it up to keep this particular tradition alive. This board of colour ways is from Shetland Designer (wonderful luscious colours which catch bit of the landscape) where I got thoroughly over excited.
 Not a great picture but spectacular coastal walks are what you go to a Scottish island for so there has to be a picture...
And now all I have left to do is find a home for the pictures I bought back. 

6 comments:

  1. Funny-I've been in a picture-post mood, too. I love seeing other people's pictures, which is why I make the time to take my own pictures and post them. Looks like your vacation was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, so much so that I wish I was still on holiday. I enjoy other peoples pictures too - one of the best things about blogs!

      Delete
  2. I love your picture post and wish I could go with you next year. I am going through my feed reader and there was a blog that had a rant about the Booker prize right under yours. But, I thought the post I was reading was yours and it started to distress me because there was so much anger in the rant and it seemed more than a little reactionary. I was so relieved to realize that my eyes had tricked me and that your post was the one above it. Phew. I thought I was going to have to reassess everything I knew about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, relieved it wasn't me. Not actually very bothered about prizes either way, I think they're a good marketing tool and a talking point but they rarely grab my attention. Would be very hard pushed to get angry about one. Shetland was a lot if fun - I have the feeling I should have stayed but oddly was daydreaming about going to Maine next summer this morning. No idea why Maine particularly but it foes look nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given these pictures of Shetland, I can see why you would want to go to Maine. It would definitely be different but there are also many similarities. Lots of used bookstores along the coast of Maine.

      Delete
  4. It looks like it's got things we'd both love as well as being somewhere new to explore

    ReplyDelete