Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday baking is back

Well for one Sunday at least Sunday baking is in full swing. I got caught out by the snow this weekend, my journey home that normally takes 15 minutes took 2 hours - not because the snow was particularly bad but because traffic was. The world and his dog apparently decided to leave work at the same early time - and got precisely nowhere very, very, slowly. The snow wasn't the problem, ice and far to much traffic were the cause, and the result is that I abandoned initial plans for the weekend, and as today has bought lots more snow I've spent it indoors and in the kitchen.

Checking the cupboards and fridge for comforting winter food ingredients revealed a lot of half used odds and ends left over from Christmas baking so a fruit cake was inevitable. We finished my Christmas cake this week and I've been missing it, truthfully I would have liked to bake another just like it and have it plain but I didn't have any cream, or any inclination to venture out for some. Happily Dan Lepard is not a one fruit cake kind of a man, and half a jar of slightly grainy honey suggested his cinnamon honey fruit cake. Previously my favourite chunky fruit cake was this one from 'River Cottage Everyday' but the honey cinnamon one beats it by a mile (and the River Cottage one is pretty good). 

It was also a chance to use the 5 inch cake tins I got a while back and have only looked at since which has given me 2 cakes instead of 1. It's nice to know that the recipe splits perfectly, the smaller size suited my oven too which tends to take it's own sweet time to cook things so they get a bit crispy on top, so I'm sure with a bit of thought I can come up with some good reason why 2 cakes are better than 1 (apart from the obvious).

The Honey and Cinnamon Fruit Cake recipe is here. I used whisky instead of brandy or cold tea (though I had plenty of cold tea I had more whisky) which I'm inclined to regard as an improvement. The flavour really comes through and is wonderful. I also made lots of wine mulling syrup, a lamb honey and prune tagine, and an apricot upside down cake... It may be cold outside, I may have to venture out to work first thing tomorrow, I may (and most likely will) end up with wet feet before I get home - but when I do get home there will be no shortage of comfort food.      

10 comments:

  1. It's such a warm and uplifting post. And the cake looks absolutely lovely... I will definitely try to make it although I'm rather rubbish at baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His recipes are generally reliable and quite easy to follow - the cake smells heavenly and tastes as good - we're enjoying it very much here.

      Delete
  2. A home with more whisky than cold tea is a fine place indeed to be holed up in while it is snowing outside! I like almost any fruit cake but this one sounds and looks delicious. I've saved the link and look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whisky is one of my other passions and as it's work related too there's every excuse to have a bit of it around.

      Delete
  3. Claire took my comment! ;-) What a better way to spend a snowy weekend, indeed - and with both whiskey and tea that could be reheated(?) The cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tea drinking weekend - we're forecast more snow for the end of the week so I might have another kitchen day then. There's still plenty of bits want using up :)

      Delete
  4. Wine mulling syrup sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely cake, very tempted to try it. Perfect to enjoy after sledging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this recipe..I made it yesterday evening, and it turned out perfect. I had some peel from Xmas, and some ginger..that all went in. No whisky though..that had to be saved for the raspberry cranachan trifle for tonight! Helen

    ReplyDelete