Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christmas comes sooner than you think

The twinkly lights and irate shoppers are making Christmas hard to ignore and it’s time for me to face up to the fact that I’m even less organised than usual this year. Number of Christmas cards to send – 60ish, number of cards bought – 0, number of presents to give – not even calculated, number of presents already procured 2 ½ , number of days off left – 8, and it’s all complicated by quite a few birthdays (including mine – number of years I’ll be reaching to remain undisclosed).

It seems likely that I’ll be doing my bit for festive cheer via books and wine (again) and if I mean to order online it should happen before the post goes crazy – so probably by the end of the week, but goodness knows I’m finding it hard to raise any enthusiasm for the idea. My online excursions have resulted mostly in book orders for me (well I do have a birthday coming up) and very little in the way of hard present buying. In truth I want to spend my money on the high street where the cash is really needed but I’m struggling to find much that inspires in the book direction. Finding wine is a lot easier but feels a bit cheekier because it’s also work.

Presents (giving and receiving) are important to me – getting things, even things I’ve ordered for myself is hugely exciting, choosing things for people is even more thrilling but it takes time to do it properly. Hmmm time – this could get tricky... especially when budget requirements call for some imagination and creativity. Still despite feeling (and knowing that I look like) a limp dishrag, being busier than I’ve ever been in my life (this year is something else entirely), and getting a fresh coating of bruises and grime every day this is still by far and away my favourite time of the year. I think it’s a combination of thinking about the people I care about and being surrounded by sparkly things.

I’ve got a proper break coming up in January and can hardly wait; I’m already planning a stack of reading and even more baking. It should be good, now all I have to do is make those lists and source something fabulous for the blond, make mince pies, get some cards, tidy the flat, decide on a tree....

11 comments:

  1. I, too, am feeling the pinch. Four children who are counting down the days to Christmas with signs around the house. Number of gifts purchase? Zero! This has to be the furthest behind I've ever been. We'll both get there, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have randomly bought a few things but really need to sit down and write a list then try to think of the least stressful way to acquire what I need. I want to make a few things but time is so limited!! Wine and books are always good gifts though... especially from one who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully my family keeps present-giving at Christmas to a bare minimum which means I can focus my gift shopping to John, who is extremely easy to shop for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, ever the optimist, oh there's plenty of time - but hmm I'm not sure. I'm going to a great craft fair this weekend and so am pinning my hopes there for affordable, supporting small business and most importantly gorgeous gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boy and I sat down on Saturday afternoon and did all of our Christmas shopping online bar a few bottles of wine. I will have to buy his on a stealth mission and make a trip to Liberty but otherwise all done. It's a fairly low-key affair for us this year as, yes, feeling the pinch.
    I'm just looking forward to being together in Scotland with out families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah fond memories of the wine trade at christmas, i miss it so much! Wouldn't worry to much as wine is always loved by everyone and as you quite rightly say it is about the people you love and sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan - I know it'll happen wether I'm ready or not - but hopefully we'll all be organised enough to enjoy it...

    Novel Insights - I get christmas panic about now, by next week it'll be back to my normal 'here have a bottle' approach (that's when I'll have finally given up on the idea of making things).

    Joan Hunter Dunn - Happy hunting!

    Paperback Reader - hoping to get to the Borders for new year to see family and spend some quality time doing nothing. Hope yo have a great time up north, and slightly envious of your proximity to Liberty.

    Grainne - any time you want to come bac I'm pretty sure we could accomadate you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas - do you get presents at thanks giving as well? Hazy as to how that works. We keep things pretty low key in my family as well, but we're mostly women and somehow that seems to make it hard work...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know, I think the best thing about receiving a present is the element of surprise...................The joy of not knowing what it is before you've unwrapped it.Do I sound cheeky?!!! ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is difficult deciding what to get people. Especially if like me you think you would like one as well!

    Christmas is creeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby (aka the blonde) just becase I feel very clever about the one christmas purchase I've made, and am desperate to share the details with it's inteneded recepiant doesn't mean you should mock me ;)

    josbookjourney - got my pay slip today and it seems everyone will be getting promises for christmas Grrrr

    ReplyDelete